Thursday, October 30, 2008

The abridged version

Ok, I got some catch-up to do. After I got to Bend I spent a day looking for a buddy which I never managed to do since for whatever reason my cell phone coverage does not seem to include Bend Oregon. So, knowing I would have some climbing partners in Red Rocks I continued south early the next morning.
I managed to cover from Bend all the way down in to Las Vegas in about 15 hours worth of driving. I arrived quite late at night and quickly set up camp and slept until early the next morning. On the way down I got ahold of friends from Anchorage that were in Vegas and planned on climbing with them the next morning.
This being my first real-rock climbing on the trip and since last April it was nice to spend in on easier stuff getting laps under my belt. I actually spent a good portion going over trad climbing with them since it was something they wanted to do. It was a nice refresher for myself. With no flash pumpiness and several routes down it was a pleasant first day except for the blazing sun which seemed only feet from our heads.
I spent the next day sport climbing, starting in the sun but quickly moving into the shade of the Black Corridor. There I put down several more routes and also ran into another group of Alaskans.
With my birthday the following day we chose to celebrate the night before since the next day was going to be a rest day anyway and we would be better suited for a multi-pitch trad the following day. To say the least I threw down. Like most times I had no real intentions of going that far but several margaritas including a yard of one and a jello shot I was in it for my birthday. It seems that by 27 I should know better, maybe next year.
The next day I got the most of the rest day sobering up and walking around the strip. I've had worst recoveries, I've also had better.
Now being wiser for it, whether or not I use it, the next day came and we went after Dark shadows. A pleasant climb one of my partners took on every lead which I was happy to let her as she wanted to learn and she self-imposed was on the accelerated program.
Check out the photos on picasa.
Another day of sport followed though I did get to lead one route with trad and after checking it out so do my protege.
After saying goodbye and another stop by the strip we parted ways, they back to work and life and I to continue my aimless wondering.

The next morning I headed off for Bishop where I spent the night at Pleasant Valley next to the Happy boulders. There I ran into 3 guys from Juneau on a climbing trip promoting a buddy's new climbing shop and website. balanceclimbing.com I even got several free T-shirts from them. Them being friendly Alaskans new to the area we joined crash pads and headed out the next morning for the Happies. There I got the crap beat out of me on the boulders. It started off slow enough but them being a bit stronger than I, I pushed myself and after 7 hours of bouldering, it had taken it out of me. We headed off to the Buttermilks to spend the night there and have a short morning session before heading back to Red Rocks with them.
The next morning I awoke very sore and stiff. I came to enough to throw done one problem.
We spent the rest of the day heading to Red Rocks.

We spent the first day doing another multi-pitch trad, Lotta Balls, which was a lot of fun. With one of the guys we found some easy single pitch trad and we threw down. The next day became a marathon of sport climbing. I did something like 8 different routes one of them super tough, for me at least. It was another 7-8 hour day of climbing. Early the next morning we headed back to Bishop to meet up with more guys and some bouldering.

No comments: