Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Well, I am still in Bishop though my plans for tomorrow are to head back up to Bend, for a little Smith Rock climbing all while hoping for some good weather. The weather up there has been iffy to say the least. I had planned on leaving here almost a week ago now and I haven't for two reasons.
One, the weather has been somewhat crappy up there and the weather here has been only getting better with the temperatures dropping and making the sunlight more bearable on the rock.
Two, for the first time on this trip, though probably not the last I made a real bonehead move that resulted in me losing my (Eric's) crash pad, two pairs of pretty new climbing shoes, my chalk bag and my Bishop bouldering guide. This was all done by merely placing it in that all sucking void that is the top of my truck and then driving away. It wasn't tied down either, though that isn't the usual place for it. I was back to the scene of stupidity within an hour but alas, it was gone, and now almost a week later, it has not returned. I managed to get the network of local climbers and climbers in the area sharing my sad story of me being below average intelligence but to no avail. Though this I managed to meet a lot of people but none that could help me reunite with my stuff. Posted notes throughout Bishop has not resulted in any leads.
I did learn this is a friendly bunch offering to include me in on trips to various bouldering areas, though the kindness of others I am already being part of. I have been climbing with fellow Alaskan Keith, and hanging/camping/climbing with a young couple from the Tahoe area just cruising around looking for good climbing areas like myself. They have proved to pleasant and humorous company. Its more fun to hang around a campfire in the evening with friendly company than without. They has proven to be no lack of such company around these climbers campgrounds.
So, I am still in Bishop, cranking hard on old climbing shoes getting to the walls quite often only taking a day here and there for rest days. My fingers are beginning to look like mush, I am on my third blood blister, but otherwise cranking hard for me and enjoying it all the while. I now plan on finally heading up to Bend in hope of good weather and equally good climbing and company.
No real new photos, sorry, the ones already posted I think are still pretty good though.

No comments: