Thursday, May 29, 2014

Booming Beijing

First thing first. Thank God for the Olympics in 2008.  Most of the signs are in English and announcements at major stations are in English, too.

Sweating profusely in 80+ degree weather (I wore a wool sweater less than a week ago), we made our way from the International terminal to the domestic ticket office to retrieve our train tickets to Qingdao. Yep, you read right. I offloaded my beloved from a train trek across Asia and then stuffed him in the Beijing subway and onto a 6 hour bullet train to Qingdao (site of the 2008 Olympic sailing events).  In my defense, we ate first.

With the help of a Marriott concierge and English signs in the subway we made our way from the central station to the south station to board the train that would travel at an average of 200 kph.  The south station reminded me of Denver airport- vast, lots of stores, and plenty of places to eat. As we sat down at what seemed like a local chain, Mr. Lee's, we ordered our first Chinese meal of the trip that did not include hot water and a cup of noodles.

We logged onto wifi and sent messages to our friends in Qingdao and reached out to family.  It was then that I sent a message to my dad...and it made me quite cathartic about the trek.

You see, I come from a train family. My grandfather was an engineer for Reading railroad. My uncle was a certified train nut, even taking vacations to photograph old rail engines and cars.  My dad and his younger brother are quite close to being nuts but notnquite certifiable yet. Yet.

When living in Germany, our parents toured the region via train, showing my sister and me castles, museums, and festivals; thus giving me a taste for adventure and travel. My Uncle George always pondered how I could look at the same four walls for any given amount of time; and to that I say: for work. To fund trips like this. To travel with a partner who appreciates and is captived and intrigued by the same cultural differences and enthusiastic about living each day to the fullest.  I am so happy we completed this trek and did so on the train.  My heart is so happy that I did it the Cope way (maiden name); but even happier that Josh was by my side. And for that bliss that gave me goosebumps, I shed some tears into my rice, caught Josh off guard with my sniffles, and thanked him for the trip of a lifetime.

Ok. Enough sappy stuff. Onto more about China. I gotta say, I continue to be in awe of this country.  From the tree lined avenues in the country to the average 20-30 cranes in each village, neighboring city to Beijing, this place has precision.  The high speed rail glides along elevated concrete paths and through enormous stations and platforms that make Grand Central seem like a Thomas the Train play set.  The apartment buildings that house people in these satellite towns rival skyscrapers in Chicago.  The bridges are lit underneath for bikes and pedestrians to cross rivers under cars riding topside.

Advertising uses primarily red and yellow coloring: cell phones, energy drinks, etc.  The subways have videos that run in the tunnels as wagons pass from station to station.  The avenues and boulevards are dotted with green spaces and rose gardens (so pretty to smell as we walked to the subway!). It reminds me a lot of Washington, DC. Large city, per se, but well landscaped with adequate space for recreation and beauty. Another nice change from Mongolia: little to no horn honking.

But then you are reminded that this is China. Military are everywhere: street corners, train stations, in cars on the street. With the former standing at attention with eyes darting to and fro.

No comments: