Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sauna

As I learned in Iceland last fall these Nordic and Scandanavian countries know their sauna. Many Finnish homes have personal saunas that whole families roast in daily as a ritual to improve their health.

At our new Finnish friend's home I got to roast in one, alternating between the 120 degree C inside and 4 degree C outside temperatures. Friends were on the porch smoking hookah and drinking beer after an afternoon BBQ; and so as steam rose from my freckled shoulders I took a few small drags from the apple flavored cubes and chatted about the differences among cultures in the US, Latin America and in Finland. The conversation was fun, lively, respectful and educated. After several trips to and from my legs no longer ached from the dancing the night before.  My sinuses cleared. My body and mind felt relaxed. I made a mental note to use our's in Girdwood more often.

No comments: